2011 MTV Movie Awards – Nominations and Predictions
The 2011 MTV Movie Awards take place on June 5th, and it provides yet another chance for the music video dinosaur to pretend it’s still hip. SNL cast member Jason Sudeikis will serve as the host, and celebs scheduled to act as presenters include Ryan Reynolds, Jesse Eisenberg, Steve Carell, Shia LaBeouf, Danny McBride, Emma Stone, Selena Gomez, and Leighton Meester.
Not surprisingly, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse racked up the most nominations with eight, and the series about sparkly vampires and bare-chested werewolves has won five of the six major MTV movie awards given out in the previous two years. Inception came in second place, with a total of seven nominations.
Just in case you keep up with that sort of thing, last year’s Global Superstar category is being dropped (leaving Robert Pattinson as the first and only winner), and Best Line from a Movie makes its debut. And for whatever reason, the category formerly known as WTF Moment has been re-dubbed Best Jaw Dropping Moment. Now that’s what I call hip.
My predictions, by the way, are in bold. Just to be a contrary, I selected who I thought should win, not who would win (which are obviously two different matters).
- Black Swan
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- The Social Network
- The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Comments: I hate to think that a Twilight movie would win for a third year in a row, but the franchise shows no signs of slowing down. You can probably go ahead and pencil in another win for next year, too. The only possible spoiler might come in the form of The Social Network, since the bulk of MTV’s coveted demographic spends way too much time on there. I’m just glad they haven’t made a Mafia Wars movie yet.
Best Male Performance
- Jesse Eisenberg – The Social Network
- Zac Efron – Charlie St. Cloud
- Daniel Radcliffe – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Robert Pattinson – The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
- Taylor Lautner – The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Comments: Only on the MTV Movie Awards would you find Zac Efron, Taylor Lautner, and Robert Pattinson nominated for Best Actor. A sure sign of an impending apocalypse.
Best Female Performance
- Emma Stone – Easy A
- Emma Watson – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Jennifer Aniston – Just Go with It
- Natalie Portman – Black Swan
- Kristen Stewart – The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Comments: While Natalie Portman won an Oscar for her role as a troubled ballerina, and Emma Stone should have been nominated for her portrayal of a sassy high schooler, I’m afraid the award will once again go to Kristen Stewart and her masterful impression of someone who constantly looks either (a) in pain, or (b) constipated. Jennifer Aniston, while still surprisingly hot, shouldn’t have even been considered.
Best Breakout Star
- Andrew Garfield – The Social Network
- Chloë Grace Moretz – Kick-Ass
- Hailee Steinfeld – True Grit
- Olivia Wilde – Tron: Legacy
- Jay Chou – The Green Hornet
- Xavier Samuel – The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Comments: I love Olivia Wilde, but I don’t think this is really what you’d call a “breakout” role. I guess MTV was having trouble filling the category. Too bad a few more folks from Eclipse didn’t make the list.
- Christoph Waltz – The Green Hornet
- Leighton Meester – The Roommate
- Mickey Rourke – Iron Man 2
- Ned Beatty – Toy Story 3
- Tom Felton – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
Comments: When I think of classic villains, it’s hard to beat the tandem of Ned Beatty and Leighton Meester. At least Mickey Rourke looked cool sporting some metal in his grill.
Best Comedic Performance
- Adam Sandler – Just Go with It
- Ashton Kutcher – No Strings Attached
- Emma Stone – Easy A
- Russell Brand – Get Him to the Greek
- Zach Galifianakis – Due Date
Comments: Trying to even think of what to say about this less-than-impressive group is sapping my will to live. Who did Adam Sandler pay off for his nomination?
Best Scared-As-S**t Performance
- Ashley Bell – The Last Exorcism
- Ellen Page – Inception
- Jessica Szohr – Piranha 3D
- Minka Kelly – The Roommate
- Ryan Reynolds – Buried
Comments: I’m confused as to what Ellen Page is even doing in this category. Since when was Inception regarded as scary? Ashley Bell deserves this one for playing a young girl who’s all kinds of terrified, but don’t hold your breath waiting for that to happen. I can’t believe Twilight didn’t make the list.
- Ellen Page and Joseph Gordon-Levitt – Inception
- Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson – The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
- Kristen Stewart and Taylor Lautner – The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
- Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis – Black Swan
Comments: Kunis and Portman should get this one, but it’ll probably go to that damned Twilight bunch. Curse you, Stephenie Meyer!
- Amy Adams vs. The Sisters – The Fighter
- Chloë Grace Moretz vs. Mark Strong – Kick-Ass
- Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint vs. Rod Hunt and Arden Bajraktaraj – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt vs. Hallway Attacker – Inception
- Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart vs. Bryce Dallas Howard and Xavier Samuel – The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Comments: Is it just me, or does Joseph Gordon-Levitt seem to be getting an awful lot of love from MTV? He’s a great young actor, but Inception is one of the least impressive of his roles. I guess films like The Lookout are never going to drive those discerning teen audiences wild.
Best Jaw Dropping Moment
- It’s All Fun and Games ‘Til Your Arm is Trapped, Numb and Bleeding Under a Rock – James Franco (from 127 Hours)
- Who Knew Getting a Bieber Lap Dance Would Only Cost as Much as a Movie Ticket? – Justin Bieber (from Justin Bieber: Never Say Never)
- Sometimes You Have to Blow Apart a Café to Prove a Point – Leonardo DiCaprio and Ellen Page (from Inception)
- It Begins with a Hangnail, and Suddenly You’re Ripping Off Your Skin – Natalie Portman (from Black Swan)
- Steve-O Flies Through the Air with the Greatest of Ease: In a Porta-Potty Filled with Feces – Steve-O (from Jackass 3D)
Comments: I wish the Oscars would add a category that recognizes idiots covered in shit.
Biggest Badass Star
- Alex Pettyfer
- Chloë Grace Moretz
- Jaden Smith
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt
- Robert Downey Jr.
Comments: Surprisingly, when I think of badasses, Alex Pettyfer and Jaden Smith never even make my top 1000. If Smith and fellow nominee Chloe Moretz got into a real-life fight, my money would be on the girl.
Best Line From a Movie
- “I want to get chocolate wasted!” — Alexys Nycole Sanchez (from Grown Ups)
- “There’s a higher power that will judge you for your indecency” “Tom Cruise?” — Amanda Bynes and Emma Stone (from Easy A)
- “If you guys were the inventors of Facebook, you’d have invented Facebook” — Jesse Eisenberg (from The Social Network)
- “…A million dollars isn’t cool. You know what’s cool?” “A billion dollars. And that shut everybody up” — Justin Timberlake and Andrew Garfield (from The Social Network)
- “You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling” — Tom Hardy (from Inception)
Comments: If these were the best lines from 2010, then it has to mark a low moment in the history of screenwriting. The fact that a piece of dialogue from Grown Ups was included among the nominees just made me throw up in my mouth a little. At least nothing based on the godawful prose of Stephenie Meyer made the cut.
That’s all for the nominations and predictions, but be sure to tune in on June 5th to witness the 2011 MTV Movie Awards in all their glory. There are sure to be plenty of screaming teens and twenty-somethings, as well as celebrities trying to look honored while receiving a trophy in the shape of a popcorn bucket. When the dust has settled, join us back here at OGM for a complete list of the winners.